Tuesday 1 December 2009

How I made my gallery page

My gallery is a collection of photos taken at the London Zoo. The pictures may not be amazing quality but I wanted to show my skills in using Java/Javascript embedded in a website as used in the BBC3 website. To make this work, I had to resize the photos twice, once to create thumbnails for the gallery page and again to create sensible sized photos for the display. I used a java applet called Lightbox, a free applet. On a Lightbox-enabled page, a user can click an image to have it magnified in a Lightbox window, which resizes itself according to the size of the image using a gliding animation. Lightbox determines which images will be shown in the modal window through the XHTML "rel" attribute, which is used on an [a] element wrapped around the [img src="" /] element. Lightbox also provides a way to attach captions to images and to run a slide show, which can be navigated using the arrow keys. This worked very well indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment